Monday 25 July 2011

Apple Cake (Vegan)

 ©
This moist apple cake is a good way to use up left-over apples or other seasonal fruit. If you grown your own apples, like I do, use up your wind-fall or less-than-perfect fruits with this recipe.
  • 4 eating apples, peeled, cored and grated 
  • 200g self-raising flour 
  • 100g dairy free spread
  • 100g sugar
  • 100g dried fruit (optional)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice 
  • 2-3 tbsp water or dairy-free milk
  • 1 tbsp demerara sugar
Pre-heat oven to 180C/ Fan 170C/ Gas 4/350F
Cream the spread and sugar.
Mix in the remaining ingredients (except the demerara sugar) adding just enough water/milk to make a thick cake mixture.
Spoon into a greased and lined 8"/20cm x 6"/15cm tin (or a 7-8" round tin) and flatten with a spatula or spoon.
Sprinkle with the demerara sugar and a little extra cinnamon. 
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Cool in the tin and cut into slices before turning out.
Eat warm or cold.

Suitable for freezing.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Christina Poulton18/11/12 5:35 pm

    Made this today and it was really nice. I have eaten loads of it already. The only thing was it could have done with a bit less apple as it was still quite wet and I cooked it for 55 minutes in the end. I liked it because it wasn't too sweet but if you want a sweet cake then I think cream cheese frosting or something would be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the cake, Christina. I used quite small eating apples, so I'll weigh them next time and add that to the recipe.

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...