Friday 8 April 2011

Fried Aubergine/Eggplant with Herbs and Garlic (Vegan)

 © 
This is a recipe which I've adapted from the Greek Vegetarian by Diane Kochilas. Serves 4 as a starter or side dish.
  • 2 aubergines cut into 2-3cm chunks
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped (or 1 tsp dried mint)
  • 25g/1oz vegan Parmesan-style topping such as Parmazano (or grated vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese for non-vegans).
Fry the aubergine in batches in the olive oil, until soft and golden brown.
When all the aubergine is cooked, return to the pan and add the oregano, mint, garlic and vinegar.
Simmer on a low heat for around 3-5 minutes, until soft and tender. 
When cooked, sprinkle with the cheese/cheese substitute (optional).

Alternatively, marinate the aubergine in oil, vinegar, garlic and herbs. Thread onto skewers and cook on the barbecue.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. Another aubergine recipe to add to my collection. We have sewn a packet of aubergine seeds and to our surprise they have all germinated. We are the proud owners of 26 aubergine plants. We will have to give most away but I wanted to have a range of recipes I could use on the glut I forsee us having.... and I'm bored with moussaka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually cook aubergines with tomato as a casserole dish. This recipe looks delicious, I will give it a try soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...