Sunday 23 January 2011

Rose Elliot's Cheese Scones

I was very happy to receive a hard back copy of Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian cook book for Christmas (from Mr O). As you can imagine, I have a fair collection of cook books, some of which I use regularly and some of which gather dust before taking a trip to the local charity shop!

I already own a couple of Rose's books, but the great thing about this book, is that it covers everything from starters and soups to main courses and puddings and the majority of recipe use everyday ingredients. I've tried a few recipes so far, and they've all been simple to prepare, and have worked really well.

When Miss Ony asked to make some cheese scones this evening, I was confident that I'd be able to find a recipe she could follow in the book...and I was right!

The recipe is as follows:

  • 200g/8oz SR flour
  • 50g/2oz butter
  • 100g/4oz grated cheese (we used a mixture of gruyere and strong cheddar)
  • ½ tsp mustard powder (we also added ½ tsp paprika)
  • 150ml/10 tbsp milk
Miss Ony used the food processor to mix the butter, mustard, paprika and flour, she then added the cheese and mixed it in.
She carefully measured out the milk and added it a little at a time, but found that 10 tbsp was exactly the right amount to make a firm dough.
She rolled out the dough to around 2cm thick and cut out the scones with a round biscuit cutter - the mixture made 8 large scones.
She baked these for 15 mins at 200C/Gas 6. Smaller scones would obviously cook quicker.

The scones were delicious served warm with soup.
The remaining scones will be used up in packed lunches this week.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Just like how my Mum use to make them when i was a kid! thanks for adding recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking this cookbook post in. Have a good one

    PS I am now following your blog. It would make my day if you followed Carole's Chatter – or are you already?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...