Monday 17 January 2011

Music I want my children to listen to...

OK, so I know this doesn't sound like it's much to do with food, or vegetarianism, but I was inspired to write a rather random post about music by several other blogging mums, who mis-spent their formative years listening to similar music to me! 

Mr O and myself already inflict our taste in music on the kids at home (which they don't always appreciate) and take them to festivals at least once a year (which they love). We both have an eclectic taste in music, but the majority of our collection consists of rock, grunge, punk, 60's and folk! Miss Ony and Miss Kahonie do actually like some of our 'old' tunes, including The Levellers (Beautiful Day), They Might Be Giants (Istanbul) and Pop Will Eat Itself (Def Con One).

I've always loved music. I remember making up dance routines on the playground with my primary school friends to the latest hits by Blondie and Adam Ant. After a slight wobble in musical taste (ahem Wham!), I returned to decent music in my mid-late teens, when I wore black ("I wear black on the outside 'cause black is how I feel on the inside"), wallowed in teenage angst and played records by The Smiths, The Cure and The Jesus & Mary Chain at full blast on my music centre - sorry Mum & Dad!

Reading about Morrissey being vegetarian (in Smash Hits of course!) and singing along to the Meat is Murder lyrics "And the flesh you so fancifully fry, Is not succulent, tasty or kind, It's death for no reason, And death for no reason is MURDER" actually played a significant part in my first steps towards going veggie. I'm still a big Morrissey/Smiths fan, but unfortunately my kids still aren't impressed.

On a similar theme, this isn't one I'll play to the kids just yet, but it was the hard hitting lyrics from the song Liar by Riot Girl band Bikini Kill that prompted me to take the final leap to full vegetarianism. I won't post the lyrics here, but they can easily be googled!

My girls both seem to be developing their own personal music preferences and can often be heard singing away to their favourite songs. I hope that when they're older, they'll read and sing along to The Smiths' lyrics and understand why they played such an important part in my life.

So, who do YOU want your children to listen to? Add your entry and don’t forget to visit the rest! Join in the discussion and linky your post here. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. LOVE The Smiths...the soundtrack to my teens! "Meat is Murder?" was the ultimate veggie anthem!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...